Monday 6 February 2012

The Great Flapjack challenge (part one)

So I asked for flapjack recipes.

I got, wait for it, two.

Which is probably a good thing, as serial flapjack making will inevitably lead to serial flapjack eating which will lead, equally inevitably, to muffin (flapjack?) tops and wobbly bottoms (she says, as though she doesn't have both already).

Hey ho.

Anyway, the Moiderer's recipe. You can find it here but it didn't seem to be doing anything unexpected: butter, golden syrup, oats, Demerara sugar (hmmm, I usually use dark brown, maybe that's it).

I got my sous-chefs involved too - if they're going to eat, they can jolly well cook too.






And after some light melting and stirring, they (the flapjacks, not the children) were in the oven:






timer set for precisely 20 minutes as instructed.

Out they came, were cooled for five minutes and cut into squares:





before being subjected to the acid test: Edinburgh on Calcutta cup day and a very cold and disappointed man called Hamish.

His verdict? "Perfect".

Quest over? Well, maybe, but maybe not. Because while Hamish approved, I thought they still lacked a bit of squidge, and were possibly (sorry, Moiderer) a wee bit greasy (they're half butter, grease is perhaps inevitable).

So I'm not giving up yet. Amy's recipe to come. With condensed milk, which is different. And if I still think I can do better, be warned, I will start mugging mothers-in-law.

12 comments:

  1. Gosh I feel under pressure all of a sudden, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. try baking them for 15 mins instead of 20. the longer they're cooked the crispier they get. good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that might be it - but then I also wanted the first time I used the recipe to follow it exactly (not normally my style - I'm a great tweaker of recipes!).

      Next time though...

      Delete
  3. Condensed milk, eh? I will be watching very closely... (as I too am still searching for the perfect flapjack. Sad, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad at all. Deeply important, actually....

      Will keep you posted on the condensed milk - though where you're going to find it in Moscow I'm not sure!

      Delete
  4. Well condensed milk version sounds interesting. I agree they might be regarded as a bit greasy but they do taste yummy. I watch with interest for future instalments I can try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy indeed. Grease or no grease (and as I say I suspect that may be a necessary evil of a truly buttery flapjack) I still managed five (including two for breakfast)...

      Delete
  5. What about maple syrup in a flapjack? I haven't made one with it though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Interesting. I've got some maple syrup too.

      Delete
  6. You can mind my basic (very basic) flapjack recipe on Frugaliscious http://www.frugaliciousfood.com/2011/02/basic-flapjacks.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Essentially the same ingredients but cooked lower for longer. Definitely worth a try ( like the orange and spice idea too.)

    ReplyDelete

I know. I'm sorry. I hate these word recognition, are you a robot, guff things too, but having just got rid of a large number of ungrammatical and poorly spelt adverts for all sorts of things I don't want, and especially don't want on my blog, I'm hoping that this will mean that only lovely people, of the actually a person variety, will comment.

So please do. Comments are great...